1.29.2012

The Gathering of the Wine Snobs

Everyone I know that speaks another language is modest about it. They recognize that it isn't something everyone can do, and that is should be used functionally, not for evil- as a means of making others feel out of place and sometimes embarrassed.

Like most industries, the wine field has it's own jargon, that can at times seem like another language entirely, to people not in the know with "Winespeak". However, unlike modest speakers of actual languages, too many oenophiles use their their jargon as a means of one-upping colleagues and further alienating those outside of their little, exclusive club. In this way, these wine snobs make those of us that wish to educate and welcome people into the world of wine, look bad.

One of the gigs I have in this industry is for an auction house based out of New York (Acker, Merrall and Condit) that this past year have started having auctions in Chicago. Working with them gives me a chance to earn some extra coin, while familiarizing myself with some of the rare and expensive labels of the world; wines that I would otherwise only read about. Plus, the perks are pretty sweet too. For instance, this past week I was invited to attend an expensive wine dinner for collectors and buyers, two nights before the auction. So here, I find myself fallen ass-backwards into a lavish room full of crazy-rare wine, magnificent food, and incredibly rich people. I engaged in polite conversation, but still felt like an impostor. I wore one of my better suits, but around these people (even those in jeans and a sweater) felt like it was worn to my 8th-grade graduation. I mostly just sat in quiet awe of the incredible wines I was tasting, and the stories I was hearing from the accomplished people around me. 

Not all of the speakers were pleasant, however.What I wasn't used to were the some of the younger, self-made D-bags, using winespeak and wine preferences as a way of looking superior. Nowhere have I seen so many people jump to correct someone's pronunciation of a winemaker, or region. They also have a not-so-subtle way of hinting at how much money they make. One such self-made D-bag I wanted to take outside, roll up my cuffs, punch square in the jaw, stand over and tell that not only did I think the '82 Leoville-Barton was flat and boring, but that I happened to enjoy a well-made Zinfandel too. So fuck you.

Too many of these guys acted like getting drunk off of impossible-to-find vintages made them gentlemen, better than. The reality however, is that whether you get drunk sipping a first-growth vertical, or for the first time until horizontal, you're still drunk, and you can still look very stupid. If you're a lousy, classless drunk, then no amount of this much sought after juice is going to save you from looking like the ass that you in fact are. I witnessed grown men worth millions squabble like 13-year old girls, while pouring $3,000 bottles of wine. FACT: What you choose to drink doesn't make you a gentleman. Rather, HOW you drink and how treat the company drinking with you, does.

Moral of the story: Don't use any knowledge you've gained during your existence on this earth as a means of making anyone feel bad. Instead, use it to help those you encounter on this marvelous journey called life, enjoy the joie de vivre that much more, not less. Let people have their own opinions, and respect them. When it comes to wine- fuck the snobs. As a mentor of mine says, "Keep it simple, fun and functional."




 In case you're interested in some of what I drank:

1990 La Grande Dame
1990 Krug
1996 Henriot
1982 Leoville-Barton
1953 Clos St. Jean CNP
1997 La Torque
2001 Bataird-Montrachet
2006 J.L. Chave Blanc
2002 Chevalier-Montchard
1990 St. Julien-Leoville
1997 Chambolle-Musigny
1989 Haut-Brion
1983 Mouton-Rothchild
1982 Latour
1998 La Torque
1998 La Landonne
1986 Penfolds Grange
2009 LaRoy Echezeaux
1953 Clos St. Jean
2009 Domaine Dujac
1967 Wachen-Heimer TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment