11.03.2012

Why I Voted, Or "Say Yes to America"

The most American thing someone can do is vote. The second-most American thing someone can do is not vote, because they're lazy.

I'm not going to go on about who I'll vote for or why, so don't worry. I just want to explain how I feel about the whole process.

Luckily, I have never felt so moved to seriously support anything. Yeah, that sucks, but I'm not going to sit on the curb and complain about it all day. For that reason, I feel pretty darn lucky. My life has been so minimally affected by political elections, that it formed in me a sense of apathy. Iusually want to win whichever guy would make a funnier character on four years of SNL.

 I also used to feel that my "lack of a vote is a vote itself" because of how I felt about the, muckracking, money-driven two-party system. I now feel differently on the matter. Sure, I still hate the system, and I vote to change THAT more than anything. The most-recent person I would have voted for wasn't a Republican OR Democrat (T. Roose) so why would I vote for the lesser of two evils? All these guys suck, so why not cast a ballot to help get more guys a chance? There might not be a good candidate for a long time, but when there is, I want to make sure he can make it without selling his/her soul to too powerful of a party, governing in fear of losing their place on the team. A vote for a third party is throwing a vote away today, but it will continue to help alter the way we look at the whole system. If a party gets a certain percentage of the popular vote, they receive federal $ to run their campaign the next time (or, something like that) It will take a while to get there, but that is what I stand for now.

I was recently at the funeral of a Polish holocaust survivor, who cherished her right to vote. She had earned it and respected it. I reflected on my short life of being apathetic to voting. I really only did it if it was convenient, and even then, just to write in my friends to be elected village dog-catcher. Her story made me realize how much I should be grateful for the vote. The greatest nation on this earth (bitches, still!) asked me my opinion. For that reason, I should at least mail in a simple response.

Finally, on a lighter note, if you're one of those people that says something like, "If Romney/Obama wins, I'm moving to_______:" First, you're an idiot. Second, good riddance, you probably didn't even put a sign in your yard.

 The 3rd most American thing someone can do is vote for the loser and bitch about it for four years. To the bartender: "I voted for the other guy."


1 comment:

  1. Maybe the second most lazy thing we can do is register to vote and actually not vote? Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete